Photobucket
Freelancer XLR mod dev forum
March 29, 2024, 04:38:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I love miley cirus too!! ... sry... wrong forum.. damm...

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

XLR Development Diary

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: XLR Development Diary  (Read 12883 times)
Xarian_Prime
XLR Lead Dev - Keeper of the Dark
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 05:54:30 am »

Hotfixx patch in a few.. it will contain the following,

Updated market files
More equipment that didn't make the deadline..
a slight refinement of whats already available (powerplant thuster caps mainly..)
a slight docklock change, House battleship yards / fleet license.. not trader as is now
price value tweak.. probably not everything though

as i said.. its a hotfix mainly.. i don't like to leave things out.. but i said the 26th.. so she
was released on the 26th Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:06 am »

oh.. & restarts for the server savy... lots of restarts  Tongue including some "personal" ones
The equipment refereed to in the previous post are things like cluster/swarm missiles.. rockets..
& new torps & CD's.. & some hard to find specials that will be wreck only

Im also re-doing the wrecks, I "may" re-fix the 3 borderworlds that were stripped.. but that's on hold
whilst i decide if i really want to replant the stock.. or make something new out of them.. it has been a few
years since the original story Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »

Ever wondered what happens when you tick off the server police NPC's ??
I was testing the new multi missiles out in the lab when i hit one.. lucky i was wearing
my special lab coat.. & was able to take the following pics.. before they fried me well & good..

The second pic is me launching all 5 variants at once.. a few times.. lol.. Game engine didn't even flinch.. hehe  Tongue

Market files and misc fixes almost done.. a few more hours i'd say, for now it'll still be basic.. & easy.. i'll save the
total lockdown of top line gear for the next version.. getting it all in the markets is more important than RP at this time.
Server pack will be a separate file, I want to play with the hook a bit more 1st.. & test all the shell restarts myself.
Borderworlds that were stripped (3) will remain that way until the V3b  Cool

Back to work then..  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 01:08:00 pm »

Few things doin' this week..

A plugin to allow moor docking was released by Adoxa.. looking into this one over the weekend..
Lancer released the beta of hit sur maker.. results so far have been pleasing  Tongue
Setup planetform with new ships.. they no longer CTD on docking, makes me feel its a [ge_transport] problem
or something with the cargo pods.. manual scans show no errors.. probably a inbuilt .cmp problem
All commodities have been re-hauled, price & mass.. in the process of making new icons for all as well  Wink
Armour fixed (can't remember if that made the beta..) & new engines (pulsar/nebula ect..) finished.

Shiparch re-consolidated into 1 file.. was causing the game too loose mission property data regarding docking
I had Cali minor tell me the personal pod was to big to dock.. very amusing, fixed now, if anyone has same prob
after V3b dll do the same to fix, also open freelancer.ini & remove the extra shiparch.ini refs (_custom/_faction)

That is all..  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 08:37:28 pm »

Oh.. & i made some icons...  Tongue

working ingame.. got a ms3d template all sorted and ready to roll, hehe..  Grin many more soon... these were quite fun to make lol
& in breaking news.. Shol'va glider (SolC) textured & exported.. she'll be the new starting ship  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

SolCommand
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 03:30:21 am »

Heh, that alien looks great  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Wolfie
Narrowsighted, Insufficently Intelligent, Retarded EVE-maniac.
Administrator

I'm not crazy, I got papers!

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 03:00:53 pm »

Hah nice Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf
Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:57 am »

21/02/2010

As stated on the front page news.. I'm starting again from the ground up Cool
Here's a brief on what im keeping.. & what im dropping.. this is subject to change.

1st.. the bad news.. what im dropping & why...
Babylon, Startrek & Starwars are out, im a huge fan of all.. but with mods like freeworlds, WTS
& Lancer's mod doing a great job already of homage.. I feel it's no longer needed in XLR

Battlestar.. is staying.. no need to worry there as that's something I can't live without (lolz)
All the new Faction Eq is staying.. a few weps from the outgoing sections will be kept and renamed
to something else.. same for the eq.. so there will still be warp engines & such things.. just in a different "guise"

Our clan faction are staying [MERC], LLC, FFT, DVR & some of the new factions.. but not all of them
they can always be added back in latter if we really miss them  Tongue

New systems will be salvaged.. re-written & extended after testing of the codebase.
I will be spending the next few days consolidating the resources for easy integration into a new build

For now.. that is all. think it's time i got them big modding books back out.. and a few pens  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 12:51:49 pm »

Oh dear.. look what i found...

why this was tied to a NPC loadout.. i'll never know Tongue.. copied loadout into solar loadouts
& removed the cloak (& other things not good for bases).. took all of 2 mins

& boy.. do those Rhienland gunboats explode lol.. was just flying one and ticked of the navy
big bada boom hehe..
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 03:19:48 am »

For anyone wondering "what the hell is xarian up to??"  Tongue

Well my peeps.. it goes like this..
Few months back.. i was in serious danger of a massive burnout.. 3 years modding the same mod & no end in sight..
also many Vanilla flavored bugs that should not even exist coming back to bite hard.. & still being the only dev on this mod
kinda did me in for a bit.. at the time the Aroura guys& gals were running a XLR server.. i thought it best to hang back and "see"
how it all went.. pretty good actualy  Wink well..compared to my nightmares about how it could have gone.. lol

So i get conflicting reports from many users.. some are enthrawled with the experience.. suffering minimal crashes & problems.. others.. well..
yeah.. don't ask.. i still don't understand why it went wrong for the few.. & then there was the guy who spent 5 hours copying every single file 1by1 then berated me the install took so long... (that's my personal fav, very amusing)

So.. to preserve what little there is of my sanity.. i put XLR aside for a bit.. & pursued some other things that ive been looking at for a few years.. (Stalker/Fallout3.. bita Doom3 muck-around).. Stalker & D3.. are a sinch to alter/mod.. well compared to FL at least.. Fallout3.. hehe.. im still playing with atm and has probably the most limitless possibility's of any game i've ever played.. It caters for both the explorer/Roleplayer & gun-nut in me.. lets not get started on mods.. i've wasted gigs since April getting my paws dirty with everyone's works.. learning the way (not much different to my old pal "morrowind".. same engine really) Females are catered for too.. probably more so than males.. its about 10-1 ratio on addons for female-male chars.. almost anything used in Oblivion has been converted too.. yeah.. lost in the woods lol...

But!! alas.. never fear!!.. YES.. i will be coming back to FL very soon, wispers on TSP tell me were about to get a new SDK (either that or I MAKE THE THING LOL) sometime soon.. or another JFLP (be better for me) with alot less errors in the main codebase.. many of wich are our main problems.. as i stupidly trusted the codebase to be "clean & error free".. well that's what a SDK is meant to be isn't it.. (giggles)
So long story short.. Im waiting to see what comes from the error code discusions.. & other subtle reminders the SDK is broken still..
When somthing is either agreed apon or released that constitutes a decent "stable" platform to mod from.. I'll head back into the lab with it in tow, and make a new mod from the ground up.. this time with all the proper information & alot of "pre-made" assets.. i estimate I'd have something whipped up in about a month or 2 after "that" day.. Im giving the community .. oh.. about 2 more weeks to come up with an answer to the SDK dilemma.. if nothing.. I'll use the latest JFLP (like originaly planned).

Now would be the BEST time to join me in the endeavor that will be the new XLR.. I need (off the top of my head here based on the past 3 years)

1. An IDS person/team to handle info's - it drags the coding process down basically - better a dedicated group (or one) with big imaginations
2. A "proofchecker".. some one to kick me when i get it wrong (lol) I vote for GreyWolf, but i dont mind if its someone else as long as you know your ****!
3. PR... yeah.. im crap at it.. need someone good at writing large posts of BS about not much at all... with pics (lolz)
4. A .Sur file Guru.. like almost every other mod has.. but us.. I refuse to tie myself down with the crap.. but some actually like the challenges faced in this field (why its so freakishly hard i'll never know..) Lancers new tool works well.. but not for "all" ships... yet  Wink

Modelers are always welcome.. so are models (WIP's accepted.. but might not be used) Just don't push the guy converting too hard.. or he might take another "break" .. I have more than i can handle atm.. but will always take a min or 60 to look at another work for them.. may even send it back with a spanking new texture... "may"  Cool
One day.. we'll crack the .dfm format.. on that day.. I'll need someone to teach me how to rig/animate models if i don't already know that by then from Fallout3 (FL3 uses Blender.. how very convienient.. hehe)

So peeps.. that's where i stand, XLR is far from dead, just in a cocoon awaiting a new metamorphosis. Plans are being layed out for the next version.. work is grinding on behind the scenes all them good things.. just a bit more reserved than normal as im learning a new (well not really new as i used to mod morrowind.. same engine) craft as well in Fallout 3, which im proud to say will be "the" other game Ive been pondering adding to my public works.

Cheers ya'll.. PM me anytime about anything.. exept spam.. me just hates spam...  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Xarian_Prime
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:12 am »

This will be the final Dev post on this forum  Wink

There is a new forum being setup for everything atm, link will be on frontpage
when it's running Smiley it'll make things alot easier.. trust me  Cool

I went trough everything the other night & moved everything that's being kept into workfolders
so i have a good idea now of what has been dropped & what we need more of.
95% of the cult sci-fi ships were the first to go.. leaving ships that will "fit" in a Freelancer Universe (mainly)
Same went for just about everything else, sound & some bases, Evolved ships were also cut but Asgard & Epsilon
remain. Basically, apart from the "resources" I've nabbed from the current XLR build.. im building a whole new (smaller..
but not too small) mod.. she'll have the same "feel" & grunt, addons and funky things galore.. just a more "Believable"
, & hopefully stable, world to play with it all in.

Factions will stay as well, this time with better planning (& correct IDS) obviously no trek/SW/B5.. ect, but
standard XLR player factions/clans will stand.. & get better coding overall.. not having to worry about things
like "does my enterprise look right?" .. & other mind numbing questions will give me time to actually be creative
again.. away from the restrains of cult sci-fi lore & actually focus on the why the universe is the way it is.

All this will no doubt take some time, first i have to X'ify the JFLP (lmao) meaning redo all that sweet extra vanilla
codebase/Hex crap again (turrets for one..) & get native freelancer feeling like XLR again (only stable) then i'll proceed
to (carefully & slowly) add back ships & extras, making sure to write some nice correct info's at the same time.
I'm planing about 12-15 systems, I got so sidetracked with other things before but have many better systems planed
out on paper.. just never got around to finishing them darn systems (lol) as there was just soo many...

So yeppers.. that's it for this tread.. been a whoot!  Cheesy
I'll pull out the "mass email spam machine" with the new forum addy when its ready
& also post the link in plain site on the frontpage.

-Xar.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: